Coleman, Texas was originally founded in 1876 when R.J. Clow donated land for the county seat, and was named after Robert Coleman, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and aide-de-camp to Sam Houston during the Battle of San Jacinto. As a stop on the Great Western Trail between 1867 and 1895, Coleman was host to many cattle drives passing through the region on the way north toward Nebraska and other points.
After the decline of the great cattle drives, Coleman’s economy shifted toward farming, with a particular focus on cotton. The Great Depression hit the area hard, and farming declined in favor of several other industries, including meat processing, wool production, brick and clay tile manufacturing, clothing, leather goods, office supplies and furniture.
(Source: https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hfc10 )
Proud of its historical heritage, Coleman sports several beautiful markers and monuments on the grounds of the present Coleman County Courthouse, including a memorial to the county’s pioneers and first courthouse. The original bell from the building is prominently displayed. Just a few minutes’ walk from the Cattle Drive Café, there are also markers for Robert Coleman, a Texas Sesquicentennial celebration monument, a granite bench with the brand symbols of local ranches, and a monument commemorating the Great Western Trail.